Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Problem About PST

PST or Provincial Sales Tax for those non-Canadians out there, is a tax that is applied to all non-basic and non-essential groceries. I have no problem with that at all. Tax is normal and applied to almost everything. It essentially has just become a slight increase in price to everything.

Here lies the problem: the items PST is applied to. Since when did granola bars become a basic or essential grocery. Now don't get me wrong, I really do not mind paying less for some of my groceries. But I think this makes a statement on how food culture has changed in Canada, and probably throughout the United States also. When I think of basic or essential groceries, I think of lettuce or eggs or flour. But not granola bars. Granola bars are not essential or basic, they are a snack. That fact that food culture is so changed from twenty years ago is disturbing.

So instead of conforming to an unhealthy foot culture, eat a stinking apple!

-AFR

1 comment:

  1. That is rather interesting... I wonder who chooses what is taxed under PST?

    ReplyDelete