Thursday, July 1, 2010

On the Innocence of Frogs

Ask anyone I know and they will tell you one thing: that I love frogs. Frogs to me are one of the most awesome creatures to ever grace this beautiful planet. Which is why what I am about to say has really put me in a somewhat foul mood today.

I currently work at a golf course. I do many things there including greens cutting, bunker raking, irrigation, etc. and today was no different. I was string trimming with a weed whacker and we were almost done with all eighteen holes. Now, we had been told to trim the pond edges after the rest of the course was done, so once we had finished the last two holes we moved to trim them next. Now this is where my story starts.

I had forgotten about the frogs that happened to dwell upon the pond edge, their habitats right in the way of our trimming. And while we walked over to the edge I came to a horrible realization: we would probably be mowing down frogs in our quest for short grass. I was horrified to say the least. At that point though, there was no turning back. We had an hour until lunch and I decided that I would have to try to brave it out and talk to the managers after lunch to see if I could switch jobs.

I would like to think that all the frogs in my trimming area escaped unharmed, but I know for a fact I hit at least one. When I saw that frog's dead body floating in the pond, honestly, I almost cried. To inflict such suffering on a creature I loved so dearly was very hard for me to bear.

We were sent home at lunch, so I will not have to do that job again today, and you can bet your buckets that I will be not doing that job ever again.

But there is a point to my story, a question I would like to pose to readers. Why are humans probably one of the only animals on Earth that kill other animals needlessly? And to follow up on that, are humans really that advanced from other animals, so advanced that they look down on other animals and feel nothing in taking their lives?

Now, I am not advocating for animal rights, far from it. Personally, there should not even need to be something like "animal rights". There should be no need to have to institute a set of rights that should be inherent in our existence. Other animals do not need them, so why do humans need to create them? For one reason: because we treat other animals like crap.

Before I go pointing fingers at everyone, note that statement applies to the human race as a whole, not as an individual. Some might say "survival of the fittest" is the reason why humans are so powerful or advanced and thus need advanced terminology like rights, but I say the opposite. Humans are the least advanced species on the Earth in my opinion. Before you say, "I am superior, I have a gun," take a minute to think about that. Are humans advanced because they can use tools? I say no. A frog can jump thirty times its body length, a cat has claws and built-in night vision, even mosquitoes have wings. Humans have none of these advantages. Humans are weak, cannot jump high, cannot run fast, and most nowadays cannot even survive in the wilderness for a couple days without processed food or television. Is that advanced? No.

Anyways, if you managed to read this far, I commend you. You survived one of my rants! Now give yourself a pat on the back and watch the television for a little longer, while your food cooks itself in the microwave.

-AFR

2 comments:

  1. let's not get started on another microwave discussion...but you'll be pleased to know that I did read all the way through this. I'm intrigued by the points you make, too!! although if I suggested such a thing I'd probably get shot, here in the south anyways!! (haha)
    also...i love frogs. We're going through the yuck side of a hurricane right now, so it's flooding like crazy, and all our frogs are out searching for new dwelling places. unfortunately this means they're all out on the roads, and in such great numbers that it's impossible not to hit at least one. I feel the same way, though. If i hit one i feel like i need to pull over and cry! I hate hitting frogs!

    Now, since I'm done commenting perhaps I'll go do homework, instead of watch television or make microwaved food. ;)
    bytheway, we're gonna have dinner-parties next year...with no microwavables allowed. just for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to mention, one reason people think we're more advanced is because we are aware of ourselves. We can supposedly think more deeply than other animals. But really, how do we know what goes on in other animals' minds? We do all these tests on dolphins and chimps, but how can we really know what they think about?

    By the way, here's another post from a blog I follow, with a cute tiny frog picture: http://sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com/2010/07/july-1-2010.html

    I hope everything works out for you, that you're not forced to hurt another frog again. :)

    ReplyDelete