Monday, August 16, 2010

Mature Sandwiches

So an interesting experience happened about a week ago, that got me thinking about what exactly I expected about growing up.

I was at work, in the bunkers this time, and someone posed a question to a fellow member (an adult) of the grounds crew. They asked him what type of sandwich he was eating to which he replied: peanut butter and honey. A normal question, a normal answer, yet the gears in my brain were turning. For some reason, I did not expect him, an adult to answer like that. See I had this illusion, an illusion that as you grew older your sandwich choice grew more mature. A silly notion, but I figured like other things, one would outgrow peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Well I was wrong, dead wrong.

I realized then that one does not need to change as he or she grows older. As much as I loved feeling like a kid, I too had become a hypocrite (yet again). I had always told people that I am still a kid, yet here I am, drawing assumptions on other's food choices. So that scenario changed me and made me realize what maturity is.

In my opinion, maturity is the ability to grow up and still be a kid. The ability to turn from an adult, back to a kid, even if you are too "old" to be a kid anymore. And so my assumptions about maturity have stopped, because in the end, even I have been taking maturity too seriously.

Oh, and I would definitely advocate for the consummation of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. They are great!

-AFR

1 comment: