Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Forgiving Headphones Kid

A couple of events have transpired recently that have got me thinking about holding on to things. Some are a little personal, others not so much. Recently, I talked to with my friends about holding grudges, a thing I can do extremely well when it comes to certain things. I want to reverse that concept of holding on to things, whether it be grudges, feelings, or something along those lines, and discuss a little bit about letting go.

Let me begin with a story. About a year ago, my residence held an "Olympics", where the various residence houses competed to determine who was the best house. On the fateful day, we played a number of games, the most significant being dodgeball. Now there was a kid, dubbed hereafter as "headphones kid" and for whatever reason that day, I decided to release whatever amount of anger or bitterness out on him. Now, moving back a bit to the dodgeball came, everyone was having a good time, and me, my usual nimble self, was managing to stay in the game. Well, I saw a golden opportunity present itself, in the way of an incoming dodgeball. I picked it up, ran forward, and whipped it at the nearest opponent, who just so happened to be headphones kid. Well, he did not go out. And that is what began my long, bitter hatred of headphones kid.

I would see headphones kid around campus that year, and each time I laid eyes on him, I felt that bitterness stir. To make a long story short, I have held that grudge for a little over a year now, and I feel that it is time to finally get rid of it. I feel I have been relatively judgmental in general lately, not on purpose, but judgmental nonetheless. So in my eyes, it is time to let bygones by bygones, and let go of all those emotions that I have been withholding.

So watch out world because here I come, new and improved!

-AFR

2 comments: