Friday, July 2, 2010

The 4 D's of Twilight

Well, I thought that the time has come for me to throw out some of my opinions/thoughts on the Twilight series. (I refuse to call it Saga, that sounds too epic). Now I have read the first three books and I am going to show you the life cycle of the Twilight series in my mind.

1. Dubiousness. When I first picked up the first book I was unsure of whether I would like a romance novel between a vampire and a whiny human. As I read, I reflected on some of the aspects I liked and some of the aspects I definitely did not like. I reserved judgement until I had ultimately finished the first book. I then thought about how much I had really liked the book, which lead to the second stage.

2. Delight. I had found that I really liked the first book and immediately set about devouring the second and third. Luckily, they were both already on hand, my brother having rented all three to begin with. I read them both and again found myself enjoying them at that moment. Though I found some of the scenes dry, the stories were entertaining at at least kept me guessing and interested. Looking around for the last book I found, to my chagrin, that we were not in possession of the last book. This wait for the book led to the third stage.

3. Disinterest. As the wait seemed to become longer, I found myself becoming disinterested with series on a whole. What at first seemed like good books, slowly turned into just run-of-the-mill fantasy novels the longer I thought about them. After the initial suspense and rush to get my hands on the three books, the adrenaline died down and I found myself not liking the series anymore. This lead to my last stage.

4. Disgust. Perhaps that is too harsh a word. But having not partaken in the last book because of its probable similarities to the other three, I found myself not jumping on the Twilight bandwagon and entering the craze that surrounded the books by then. This craze was what brought on my disgust, I believe. The media attention, the fan girls, the Twihards, all contributed in ruining what started out as a somewhat decent series. Then when the movies started coming out, I was really sickened by way the books were being taken. They were becoming standards for choosing boyfriends, standards for living, and the messages they were sending out were horrifying when thought about in depth.

So, thus, the life cycle was complete. It went from enthused to indifferent to disgusted. And before all the Twihards come and bash me, well, it is your fault I do not like the books. Your obsession with a decent book has created many of the people who dislike Twilight today. So you have no one to blame, but yourselves.

Edward Cullen. (Those two words alone will probably get my site at least ten more views, if not more).

-AFR

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree with this. I actually liked the books when i read them, too! (i still like the books, actually. They're not all that well-written, but they're entertaining!) What I *hate* is all the attention the movies and twihards and fangirls have given it. As a whole, the MOVIES are terrible. bad acting, bad script, bad bad bad.
    People compare Twilight to Harry Potter. The thing is, though, that Harry Potter has spanned a full generation. As kids, we grew up reading about Harry. Now that we're college-age, we go to the movies. Harry Potter has been around for atleast 10 years or so now. Twilight has only been a big deal for 2 years. The first book came out in 2005, yes, but it wasn't an obsession until 2008. Harry is better, because...well, because it IS! lol.
    aaand i got of on a random tangent, there ;)

    ReplyDelete