Sunday, July 4, 2010

How Many Degrees of Freedom are Necessary?

Well, lately I have found myself wondering what responsibilities/privileges come with becoming an adult. Since I recently reached that magic age in Canada, I really have not noticed too many things different from my life. I never thought too much about this until today.

On my way to a golf outing with my dad, I heard a song about reaching adulthood on the radio. It was somewhat vulgar, but got me thinking. How much freedom comes with turning nineteen and when do I get complete freedom?

And I came to the conclusion: it sure as heck ain't now.

I have been reminded of this fact by my parents very recently and very often. As long as I am under their roof, I follow their rules. Which leads to a fair number of arguements, the most prolonged and frequent one being computer usage.

Now, I will admit, I probably spend much more time on the computer than necessary, but, really how I spend my time, in my opinion, should be up to me. Sure, the intensity at which they profess their anti-computer feelings is good because it gets me off of it, but it gets tiresome after hearing it a thousand times. And many times in the past few months, I have really been wishing that I was back in Vancouver.

So all this arguing and such gets me thinking about just how much freedom I have as opposed to earlier years. Sure, I probably have more than when I was younger, but with the imposed dictatorship of my parents, I still lack complete freedom.

But on that note, I will probably realize the importance of the dictatorship when I start to own my own place. Those rules will definitely be necessary then, even though I will have near-complete freedom. So I guess a thanks is in order for the parents, even though I am sure we will have an argument very shortly about the reason that all the ice cream is always gone.

-AFR

No comments:

Post a Comment