Sunday, July 11, 2010

Have You Seen Kyle?




On a scale of one to ten, what is the awesome level of this blog?

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I thought that I would do a quick discussion about Internet memes and memes in general. For those of you who do not know what a meme is:

A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "cream") is a unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena.

I was in the bunkers today, and began discussing what memes actually are. And I wondered, how are memes started so quickly and why do they catch on?

For example, in the bunkers we have a bunker meme: "I heard seven is pretty bad." This was started by yours truly, when I was asked which hole had the worst bunkers in terms of weeds. I replied with that statement, and it quickly turned into a meme. So why did it catch on? And why do Internet memes catch on?

I think it is because of repetition. Internet memes spread like wildfire and before you know it, they become commonplace. I think this is because the Internet is so widely used and so easy to pass on ideas with, that funny sayings quickly become popular and widely used.

However, speech memes, such as the aforementioned bunker meme, are a different story. They are not so easily translated and are not as widespread, so they become more of "inside" jokes. They catch on in the same way though, through repetition.

So I propose an idea. Let us create a meme, and pass that on. If everyone uses it often and posts it around the interwebs, we might be able to create our own meme. And that would make us as cool as penguins. And penguins, they are cool.

So proposals for memes are very much welcome. Comment on what you think should be our meme, and if I get no comments I will just make one up myself.

-AFR

3 comments:

  1. What about the title of your post? Or is that already a meme I haven't heard of?... xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen Kyle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is already a meme, sadly enough.

    ReplyDelete